Advice for Issue Argument Paper
- Remember that you must choose your approach before you can choose your organizational scheme.
- You must indicate your approach in your thesis and introduction. Then make it obvious in your claims section.
Stems to help with indicating approach in thesis:
- Although ____________[author's name, another person's name, or a group] argues that ______________________, this plan [or whatever it is] will not work/does not present an adequate solution/lacks_______ etc. because ___________________.
- While __________ believe/argue/claim etc. that ______________, we should instead _____________________.
- Because _______________lacks/does not/fails to etc. _____________________, we cannot follow this reasoning.
- The argument to _______________ [or that ____________________] presents both positive outcomes/solutions/reasons such as ______________ and negatives such as ______________________; nonetheless __________ proves more logical/reasonable/profitable/realistic etc.
- Because _________________ could result in __________________ this solution/plan/option/claim does not solve/indicate/reverse etc. ___________________ as well as ______________________could.
- While ______________undermines/overwhelms/stigmatizes etc.__________________, __________________ shows promise because _______________________________.
Evaluating Someone's Argument to Make it Your Own
- Because ___________'s argument that ______________________ [or to _________] resolves/leads towards/ motivates/demonstrates etc. _____________________, we should _______________________. [Remember you must both evaluate (judge) AND make it your own somehow. Put your own spin on it.]
- The plan to ___________________helps/demonstrates/solves etc._______________ ,so by combining it with ______/ refining it by_______/ adding _______ to it, we can/will ____________________.
- Showing/proving/allowing/indicating/solving/helping etc. _____________________, ____________'s claim that ___________________ can ___________________________ once we ___________________________________.
- Despite ______________'s and ________________'s different views on _________________/approaches to ___________, foundational __________________, they both prefer/challenge/argue/motivate/solve etc. __________________________.
- By combining _____________'s __________________ with ___________________'s ___________________, we can/will _________________________________.
- While ____________________ claims/believes/challenges/desires ____________________ and ____________________ claims/believes/challenges/desires ____________________, they both can agree on ____________________________.